Sunday 8 July 2012


Greetings fellow blogging drinkers...
The subject today is Johnnie Walker!  Now, why would I want to blog on about a blended whisky on Maish’s Single Malts?  Well there are a few interesting facts, a different Johnnie Walker label, and an amazing coincidence!
You may already know this fact - Johnnie Walker Black Label or as the company calls it, just Black Label, or as I refer to it, Johnnie Black, is the best selling whisky in the world!   It holds this position because it has always been marketed so well and because it’s a pretty tasty whisky.  My friends in Australia keep their Johnnie Black in the freezer.  It makes a fine drink on a hot day down under.  Freezing whisky won’t change the taste but you do loose some of the rich aroma.  A single block of ice loosens it up nicely. 
Then there’s another label - Johnnie Walker Green Label.  This is a blended malt or a vatted malt.  This means that it is a blend of different single malt whiskies.  (Remember that a blended whisky is a blend of single malt and single grain whisky.)  Johnnie Green is in my opinion, by far the best of the bunch.  Their flagship product is their Blue Label which sells for £130 and to my mind (and to my nose and pallet) is not nearly as good as the Green Label.  It still is a blended whisky.  However Johnnie Green is a genuine malt and in the  2010 Whisky Bible Awards, it won the Scotch Vatted Malt of the Year award.  Here’s the other difference between the Blue Label and the Green Label:  Johnnie Green sells for £30!  Try it!  You’ll be pleasantly surprised.

And an amazing coincidence!!  I mentioned to one of my patients that I am a whisky fan.  He happens to be an actor, singer and model.  He told me that when the Johnnie Walker brand was first marketed in the Far East, they revamped the silhouette image of ‘the walker’ on their bottle.  He was the man who modeled for the image and he has sent me a copy of the original image of himself that was used...  I knew one day that I would have a famous person as a patient, but never dreamed it would be someone of this prominence!  I feel really important now!  In fact I’m going for a drink to celebrate!  Join me...

L’chaim!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!